Monday, November 26, 2012

The Turkey That Keeps On Giving

Here we are on the Monday after Thanksgiving, and my Amish bird is still putting forth amazing quantities of leftovers.  But alas, today I have cooked up the final three leftover dishes.

For lunch there was a turkey egg scramble -- peppers, onions, eggs, turkey and shredded cheese.  Tonight's dinner is leftover turkey casserole: turkey, mushrooms, brown rice, celery, and cream of mushroom soup.  And finally, I made a turkey salad for lunch/dinner on Tuesday.  Chopped turkey, celery, onion, Trader Joe's Artichoke antipasta, and a bit of mayo.  Topped on a bed of greens or along with whole wheat crackers, it will bring the feast to a close!

Image: M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012, - casserole pre-baking 

Image: M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012, tomorrow's lunch and dinner

I must say, I was amazed to realize that even though I was born and raised in the Midwest, I did not have a clue about the basic recipe of a casserole.  This fact emerged over the weekend as I finished reading a library loan.  Eco Thrifty: cheaper, greener choices for a happier, healthier life by Deborah Niemann is your standard frugal living book.  Ten chapters devoted to food, kids, transportation, housing, getting stuff for free, etc.  Sprinkled in are number on annual savings.  I enjoyed flipping through, but not much jumped off the page for me as something new.  There were two exceptions.  One, the basics of any casserole: protein, starch, sauce, and vegetable.  And two, using a ball of wool in the dryer instead of fabric softener.

Dinner tonight was inspired by the first tidbit, and when I have a chance I want to experiment with the wool idea.  Recently I bought a box of fabric softener sheets that can be composted.  Total cost was $4, and I will use about 4 boxes a year.  So, replacing it with wool would save about $12 ($4 x 4, minus estimated price of wool) a year.  That will not boost me retirement savings, but it will allow us to tread a little more softly on mother earth and remove one item from the list of things that forces me to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment