Wednesday, December 12, 2012

New Holiday Song Nomination!

When one thinks of traditional holiday songs titles such as Frosty The Snow Man, Jingle Bells, and Silent Night spring to mind.  All three are favorites of mine, and now very clearly my daughter (at two and a half she can sing any of those straight through -- music makes her happy).  But this past Sunday, as I sat at Prairie UU for a service on making the holidays simple, a favorite song of mine was included.  And I wondered, why isn't this associated with the holidays?

'Tis a Gift to Be Simple:
'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free, 'tis a gift to come down where we ought to be, and when we find ourselves in the place just right, 'twill be in the valley of love and delight.  When true simplicity is gained, to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.  To turn, turn will be our delight, 'till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

According to the music book, these words were penned in the 18th century by Joseph Bracket.  My thanks go out to Joe.  Your song inspires me today, in the year 2012, I am a 39 year-old mother of two young children, balancing the demands of parenthood, marriage, and a legal practice.  And it, the song itself, is going to be a gift to my daughter and myself.

Found on Amazon Prime, I purchased that UU song book this summer when we bought a spinet piano for our home.  And I told the folks at church that I will practice, and later in 2013 hope to be able to play this very song for the congregation.  I'm Type A, so having a goal like this will work. I will bring playing the piano back into my life, and the gift to my daughter will be time with Mama at the piano, practicing.  Adding another song to her list, one I will lean on heavily during the holidays to offset, just a wee bit, the buy more mentality screaming at us from billboards, newspapers, radio ads, and internet ads.

M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012, our daughter this past summer trying out the piano for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment