Saturday, January 26, 2013

Diverting Food Scraps From the Landfill, and Some Thankful Squirrels

M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2013

Meet my new friend, Sir Squirrel!  Yes, I have befriended the squirrels.  No longer tossing the copious amount of food tossed, shredded, and discarded by my children (which was not suitable for the compost pile due to the presence of butter or being a meat or cheese product) into the trash, it now goes into a bowl on the back porch.  And the squirrels adore me.  I can say they'll be sorry when the children mature enough to drastically cut this kind of waste, until then, we'll have a sense of equanimity in the backyard.

Sure, I'm certain this behavior violates wildlife management protocol.  But I no longer fuss when I see a squirrel eating the bird food. They wait for the bowl offering, leaving the seed for the birds.  We're all happy. And my cats love the close up wildlife action...a mere few inches separated by the glass door.

How do you minimized what goes into the landfill?  This is one of my creative ways, but I love to hear about more.  Post a comment, and enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment