Thursday, February 7, 2013

Leftovers Transformed Into a Frugal Lunch -- Chicken, Rice, Cranberry, and Walnut Salad

Thursday at noon marks the end of my legal work for the week, and today I rejoiced in my fortune to have a home office.  After spending a few hours in my home office, my commute to domestic life was quick and easily.  Not the case for many of my fellow Madisonians, who are braving the icy and snow on our roadways.

With the computer in sleep mode, it was time to figure out lunch. The kids had already eaten and were engrossed in Lego play.  Hungry and wanting to put leftovers in the fridge to good use, I decided to try something new.  Inspired by a cranberry walnut bread we'd enjoyed at playgroup earlier this week, I whipped out a salad with the leftovers.  Paired with one of the many tangerines on the counter it was a simple, healthy and frugal lunch.


Cranberry, Walnut, Chicken and Rice Salad -- toss together:

  • chunks of leftover chiken;
  • remaining rice mix (various rices, Trader Joe's Brand)
  • dried cranberries
  • chopped walnuts
  • scoop of mayo
Mix and eat.  Add fruit and you have a tasty lunch.  I also think this would have been nice topped on a bed of greens.  It made a large portion, and half remains.  I may just add it to greens for Friday's lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment