Friday, May 17, 2013

Ice Wine Cubes!

Last weekend we had relatives over to celebrate my husband's birthday, and his aunt and uncle brought two bottles of wine.  To my surprise, when the guests cleared both had a good amount left.  Red wine I enjoy, but only a little bit suits me.  What to do?

A post on Facebook offering them up to a neighbor or friend passing bye went uncommented on.  Shocking since most people know my husband's family knows their wine, and import cases each year.  They'll store it, let it age, and pull it out just when it is perfect.  Sometimes that means waiting a decade or two.

Unable to pour it down the drain, I found inspiration on this web post -- 10 Ways to Use Leftover Wine.  My option was simple and practical.  Freeze it in an ice cube tray.  His family would likely be appalled that I froze the wine, but it is better than letting it go down the drain.  So it is freezing in the freezer and tomorrow I'll put the cubes in a bag.  When a red soup or beef stew is on the menu, I'll add a cube for additional flavor.



No drop wasted!  Not even the corks.  I am saving them in a glass spaghetti sauce jar -- when I have enough I plan to use glue and make a pot holder!  Wine -- if you have it leftover, what is your go to re-use?  Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment