Image by M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2013 -- UW Arboretum, on a family nature walk
Mark your calendars, June 1st and 2nd offer ample opportunity to get outside, explore, and be frugal. Here are three that are on my radar:
- National Trails Day -- free admission, hikes, etc. on National Trials. Check out the web site for a local event;
- Wisconsin State Park Open House -- On Sunday, June 2nd admission is free to all Wisconsin State Parks; and
- Fish for Free in Wisconsin -- Saturday, June 1 and Sunday June 2nd. Rediscover a childhood pastime or simply give something new a twirl.
Nature is a wonderful playground, which can cost next to nothing. Other ways to keep it frugal:
- carpool to your destination
- bring a picnic lunch
- carry lots of water
- enjoy a vegetarian meal -- PBJ sandwich, nuts, and an apple will take anyone a long way
- use a camera to take home mementos -- avoid the gift shops.