Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Life Happens in the Frugal Home: Emergency Vets and Hardwood Floor Cleaner!

They say if you want to make god laugh, make a plan.  If so, someone or some thing has been laughing quite a bit this past week.  My plan has been to post a Sunday Green note every Sunday, using the wonderful ideas share in the Prairie UU Order of Service.  And this Sunday we did attend, even though sleep deprived. I remembered to bring home said Order of Service.  And in the evening I took a brief walk to relax, and planned to return home and post.  Instead I returned to find what looked like a kitty homicide had occurred in the kitchen.  And standing there was my 15 year old male, bleeding from his head.  And there went my plan.

First, everyone is fine.  At least fine now.  It appears our newly adopted 5 year old had had enough of his grumpy ways and let him have it.  Not until the next morning did we learn that all that blood came from one strike, which had hit a vein in his ear.  Wow -- that is a lot of blood from one strike!  She has excellent aim it appears.  And so the cat I wrote about frugally adopting has now generated a $400 emergency vet bill. Thankfully we use our frugal ways to build an emergency fund for the months when such an expense is not built in.  The upside of frugal, a bill like that does not require you to use a credit card as an emergency fund. Sure, I used it to pay the bill.  Why wouldn't I; we receive 1% cash back for every purchase.  But our frugal ways mean it is paid in full, no interest in this home.

Our "frugal adopted" cat -- who has excellent aim,

So, it may be Tuesday, but here is the Green Note from Sunday that makes my posts easier....but not always timely.  I have not used it yet, but will be.  We have hard woods, and now in an effort to keep the cat peace and prevent another ER Vet visit, a litter box is situated upstairs. Translation; I'll be cleaning the floors upstairs more often than in the past!

Green Floor Cleaners. For hard floors, combine 1/4 cup liquid castile (vegetable based) soap with 1/4 to 1/2 cup either vinegar or lemon juice in 2 gallons of warm water in a bucket. Use with a mop or a sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment