Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Frugal at 40

M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2013 - UW Arboretum

To most it is Wednesday, hump day.  For me it is my first full day of being 40, that great marker in life was passed yesterday. My original celebration plans were altered by the changes going on in the chidlrens' lives, so they were with us all day.  And it was a lovely unplanned turn of events.  For me turning 40 did not translate into a big party, luxury gifts, or spa retreats.  It was simple, and it was frugal.

Two coffees from two favorite coffee shops, both free with loyalty punch cards.  A buffet lunch at a favorite Indian restaurant -- the bonus of the kids eating for FREE.  Followed by a stroll in the UW Arboretum where we pointed out signs of fall and simply took in the beauty of nature.  Dinner was steak and lobster, at home, from the freezer.  Dessert was an apple pie my mother made and brought over.  I finished the night with a short run, looking ahead to a new decade.  Time was the largest gift of my day.  No meetings to rush to.  No school bell to scurry after.  No lines or menus or excessive waste.  And that to me is the upside of being frugal.

Thanks for reading, and I'm back to attempting posts at least 5 days a week.  And guest posts are always welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Melinda! I was hoping you would answer a question about your blog! My name is Heather and my email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete