Monday, October 14, 2013

From Pizza to Quiche, The Art of Leftovers!

As we sat down to a late and leisurely breakfast Sunday, a specific meal from my freshmen year of college came to mind.  It was late fall, probably a Wednesday or Thursday, and there in the cafeteria line-up of meal I found spaghetti omelettes.  My roommate was more adventuresome than I was, and placed it on her tray.  I quipped, well if we didn't eat the spaghetti for dinner, they'll make us eat it for breakfast.

Flash forward about 20 years and the same cooking technique emerged from my own kitchen.  Saturday I made a homemade sausage pizza.  It turned out well, but I found myself with extra sauce, cheese and sausage.  Tucked into tupperware in the fridge, I pulled them out Sunday morning.  I quickly mixed them together, tossed in diced mushrooms, an then poured a mixture of 4 beaten eggs and more cheese on top. Baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, it turned into a wonderful crust-less pizza quiche!

Going forward I vow to try this technique with other leftovers or bits occupying the fridge.  Eggs, cheese, and a little sauce can make a savory meal.  Served along side a salad of mixed greens, it was a wonderful start to a Sunday!  And an excellent way to make sure every drop of food is used here in our frugal home. While we are very good about eating at home for most meals or brown bagging our lunches, we still feel too much food is wasted.  Small children contribute to this, but so do the adults, often forgetting about a bit of this or that which is leftover from a meal.  Quiche to the frugal rescue!

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share your most creative quiche experiment -- good or bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment