- Articulate your desire to save energy and costs. Setting this as a priority allows you to withstand more than you might imagine;
- Open heating vents only in the areas that need heat. For us that means our finished basement is not heated;
- Place a small space heater in bathrooms with baths and/or showers. There is not need to freeze to death when showering, but there is also no need to crank the heat in the entire house. Bathrooms tend to be small, and heat up quickly for far less money;
- Dress like it is winter, even inside. Layers, turtle necks, scarves (the kind you wear to work, not sledding), wool socks, long under ware, and key for me.....really warm slippers to insulate your feet from cold flooring;
- Maximize solar heat by opening blinds and curtains during the day;
- Use your oven -- this is the time of year to bake! When done, vent the heat into your kitchen by propping the door open; and
- Enjoy warm teas at night.
Thanks for reading!