Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Life After The Bucky Book

Somehow or other the calendar got to the point of reading October 1st!  My hopes to post daily were deflected by children who do not sleep well, teaching late night seminars, and a wireless card that does not play nicely with our home router.  So there you have it, days pass and I find myself in October.  And for the first year time in my recent memory, I do not have the new Bucky Book in hand.

For those readers outside of Madison, the Bucky Book is a coupon book you purchase each year.  It contains hundreds of coupons along the lines of buy-one-get-one-free.  Without a doubt I save more than the $30 (or has it gone up in price) cost of the book.  But I find myself not wanting to purchase it this year because I think the book's residence in my kitchen drawer causes me to spend when I otherwise might not. For example -- oh look, buy one large pizza, get one free.  It was a long day at the office, let's use this to save money!  Instead I should ask, do we, a family of four with two kids age five and under, need that much pizza? Might scrambled eggs with toast and fruit be just as easy?  It's certainly healthier.

How far into the October 2013-September 2014 Bucky Book year will I get before I break down and purchase one?  Hard to say.  I will attempt to brainstorm other ways in which to get some of the coupons that save us big dollars: Stride Rite Shoes and HJ Pertzborn Plumbing for our annual clear the roots from the pipes maintenance.  Might another owner be willing to trade a coupon for some homemade granola or take one of the millions of day lilies that populate our yard in exchange?  If you have other ideas, please share via the comments section.

And I'll be back as often as I can to post....I just need the planets to align giving me time, energy, and wi-fi access!

Image by M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment