Friday, July 25, 2014

Frugal Friday With Cauliflower Crockpot Soup

It's a lazy Friday afternoon.  Having taken the day off from work at the office my morning was errands, mainly grocery but a few birthday prep related.  The early afternoon was in indulgence of Netflix's viewing -- House of Cards, Second Season.  Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I watched something for fun in the middle of the day. True treat, and free!

Before vegging out, I gave a new crockpot sous a whirl.  Cauliflower florets, leeks, broth with salt and pepper have been simmering on low for two hours, with three more to go.  Then I'll add heavy cream and use the immersion blender.  Inspired by my French slow cooker cookbook.  I'll report the results once it has been sampled.  May be the easiest dish I've made in a long time.

We are headed into a birthday filled weekend.  At ages 4 and 6 both children, who have summer birthdays, are getting "friend parties".  I'll report on how those go. After much debate we opted to rent a room at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center.  The first hour comes with a teacher to lead a theme inspired party.  Our daughter selected ferries and gnomes, our son went with space exploration.   There is a cost, but the ease, lack of cleaning and ability to bring in our own food all indicate it was the most frugal approach.  Let's see if that is true after the weekend.

Be well, be frugal, and thanks for following along.  I'm off to view the garden of a frugal friend and neighbor. What will I learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment