Friday, August 8, 2014

The Upside of Very Little TV

In 2006, when we married and merged households we sold my old TV.  My husband's apartment, which became our apartment, had no TV.  "We'll be able to watch a lot on-line in a few years, trust me!"  I had no idea what was coming to modern culture, but he did.  A self-described bookworm, I did not miss TV much at all.  Our first child was born in 2008, and we brought him home to our duplex home, again, absent any sort of TV.  "Oh, you'll get one soon, and with cable, that's for certain!"  It was the mantra of many a family and friend.  But the years went on, and there was no TV.  We had the radio, and we have my beloved books, and we had streaming video.  No need for TV and the associated costs in our frugal home.

It was the the 2010 Winter Olympics that broke me.  I loved figure skating, and the events were no available on-line.  My mother loaned us a small TV so I could watch them, and share my love of this event with our child.  And then the TV stayed.  So small many walk into our house and never notice it.  Very importantly, it was not connected to cable, just the free broadcast channels.

A second child arrived, no cable, even though everyone knew swore up and down that with two kids we'd need a TV.  Well, our son is a week from being 6 and that younger child just turned 4.  We still have the teeny tiny TV my mom loaned us, and it is not hooked up to cable.  When my mother died this past February and we were faced with emptying her home, the large modern TV she had in the living room required no thought. It would be sold on Craigslist.  Our little one is just fine for viewing the children's programming on PBS. Other things, such as House of Cards, can be watched on the computer thanks to Netflix.

Over the years books have been a large source of entertainment.  Earlier in the week a package arrived from Puyallup, Washington -- south of Seattle.  As always, it contained a wonderful assortment of children's books and magazines acquired by a dear aunt who works for the library system.  How many children today would shout with glee at the arrival of books.  Dense, science books for kids.  Used, dense, science books?  I don't know the total, but I can confirm our two did.  And that is the upside of a frugal life.  Living without cable TV has given rise to another generation of bookworms.  I cannot tell you why, but that makes me feel good.

Library Book Sales -- We LOVE Them!

No comments:

Post a Comment