Thursday, December 4, 2014

Judging A Book By Its Cover



It was a few weeks back when my library copy of Recipes & Tips for Sustainable Living by Stacy Harris showed up in my hold que.  Always eager for ways to stretch the value of a dollar, it went to the top of my to-read pile.

Soon I learned that like me, Ms. Harris has a legal education.  Life paths took us in different directions; she is the mother of 7 children and opted not to practice law. Myself, I have two small children and my own little law office where I counsel people on the ins and outs of wills, powers-of-attorney, probate, and related matters.  A frugal life is shared by both of us, but her's is more the "concept car" take on frugality.  I like to think mine is do-able for life; not too extreme, just smart choices each and every day.  Another difference -- frugal mode or lawyer mode, I never look as put together as Ms Harris does in the snapshots from her frugal life.  While her husband and children look like every day people, the photos of her seem as though they should be in a copy of Vogue, not frugal living.  Picky?  Maybe - put it was a total turn off as I read.  Reality gets across to me, not fantasy.  Doubt me, just take a look of her reclining in the chicken coop on page 79.

Now I know, don't judge a book by its cover.  So I didn't, I dug in.  A few recipes caught my attention, and one for fig bread is currently baking in the oven as I type.  In the end, the book is just okay.  I may copy the recipe for the bread, but the book is going back to the library.  Chickens and hunting wild game are not in my near or distant future.  Nor is bee keeping or other "sustainable / urban farmer" techniques.  I admire those who do, but it just is not for me.

Check in later for the verdict on the bread.  Both kids love Fig Newmans (note, Newmans and is Paul Newman's brand, not Fig Newtons).  At $5.99 a pack, I am eager to find fig treats that come directly from my oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment