Thursday, February 5, 2015

Frugal Soups


Yesterday at the office my assistant and I got into a discussion about soups.  A recent undergrad graduate, she is working part-time in my office before launching into her next phase of life.  Our conversations cover a large territory, and often have me feeling like the mom I am.

"Canned soup -- it puzzles me how it can just sit on a shelf like that.....I mean it has chicken in it!  I just have to make my own, and am trying to figure that out!"  A comment she offered in her tale of giving up eating out for Lent (she observes for the challenge of it, not for religious reasons).

Immediately I rattled off three of my go-to soups here at home.  Quick, simple, healthy, and easy on the planet as well as your wallet.  Here they are:

Split Pea Soup

  • saute diced onion and garlic in olive oil
  • add bag of dried yellow split peas
  • add container of broth (chicken or vegetarian)
  • add 2cups water
  • toss in a bay leaf
  • bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour
Black Bean Soup
  • 1 large can black beans
  • 1 jar salsa
  • 1 container chicken broth
  • toss any any cut up veggies such as onion or peppers as well as chunks of chicken, pork or turkey
  • Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes
  • Check out a prior post for the details -- does require a slow cooker and immersion blender.  Easiest of the three, and so tasty!
Those are my top three go-to soups, what are yours?  Please leave a comment and share, I am always looking for new recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment