Thursday, February 12, 2015

Frugal Use of Frozen Peaches

Flash frozen fruits and veggies are said to have more nutrients then fresh options at the grocery if those fresh items are out of season.  Why?  If they are out of season, they have logged a lot of miles to make it to your neck of the woods, and along the way nutritional value drops.  So, look to flash frozen products, frozen immediately, locking in the nutrient value.

Frozen peaches!  I tossed them in my cart, stored them in the freezer and recently pulled them out to thaw.  Yet, upon opening the bag my heart sank.  Limp and brown, there was no chance my picky 6 and 4 year old would ever try them.  How do save the peaches, and get the kids to eat them?

To Google I turned, where a search led me to peach frozen yogurt.  Happily I had all the ingredients on hand.  I tossed them into my immersion blender and now have a container of frozen yogurt for the kids.  Even better, our 4 year old just recently asked about trying frozen yogurt.  Fingers are crossed that it will be a hit.

Working off of the recipe, this is what I threw together:

  • 1/2 cup vanilla whole milk yogurt
  • 3 tbsp agave
  • fresh lemon juice
  • package of peaches
About a minute of blending, and it was done.  We'll see what the kiddos think when I offer this up as dessert.  I sampled a bit, and loved it.  So if it is a fail for them, it will work for me.  And as I fight another head cold, the cool treat will be welcome relief on my throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment