Sunday, March 22, 2015

What's In Your Cupboard?

On the playground, and the children wrapped up a vigorous period of play with friends, I pulled out a bag of my Pumpkin Scuffins.  They were eagerly consumed.  A friend said, "hmmm, pumpkin, I have a can in my cupboard I should use up - would you send me the recipe?"  Here it is.  Sort of scone meets a muffin, it is my modified version and easily accepts pumpkin, apples sauteed in butter and cinnamon, rains with nuts or any other healthy ideas sitting on your selves.

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup bran (or mixture with flax meal, my touch)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup -- pumpkin, or apples, or bananas, or nuts or a mixture.

Mix well, use a mini ice cream scoop, baking sheet in the oven for 14 minutes (slightly less if your over runs warm) at 350 degrees.  They are delicious straight from the oven, and freeze quite well.


Enjoy!

But I did not stop with the scuffins.  I am on a missions to use up items lingering in the freezer as well.

First came the wild rice, mushroom, turkey casserole.



And second, using more of the heavy cream, a seafood chowder, again with the wild rice and a package of Trader Joe's seafood mix that was in the back of the freezer. And I finally used the Fish Stock I found nearly a year ago, with an expiration date of June 2015!


As we prepare for Spring, we also work to clear out the kitchen shelves and cupboards,  Using up what we have is good for the budget, avoids unhealthy take-out, and opens up space to put away the wonderful influx of local foods produced here in Dane County, Wisconsin.  Remember, the Farmers' Market season is just a few weeks off!

Bring on Spring (even though snow is in tomorrow's forecast - it won't last).



No comments:

Post a Comment