Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Frugal Mother's Day Brunch

No reservations, no fancy clothes, no tip to leave on the table for waitstaff. This mother's day I took refuge in my happy place, the kitchen, where I whipped up some dishes from foods that have lingered, calling for consumption.  Yes, I cooked.  And I am content.


  • Crab Quiche
  • Roasted asparagus (from the farmers' market)
  • Baked walleye
  • Spinach salad with mandarian oranges, pecans, and cranberries
Matched with homemade cards and gifts from the children, and a $0.99 card (he put the first selection back when it rang up at $7.32) from my husband, this frugal Mama could not be happier.

Here is the crab quiche recipe:
  • 1 egg
  • 4 tsp flour
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 8 oz grated gruyere cheese (I use Trader Joe's Swiss & Gruyere mix)
  • 8 oz crab meat (I use Trader Joe's canned)
  • chopped green onion
Using a pie shell from Betty Crocker, mix and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Once we are done with dinner, we are headed out for a hike, in the rain if the clouds let loose. Embracing nature for a frugal, healthy, and eco-friendly Mother's Day -- wishing you all the best dear reader.


A favorite bowl, one that once graced my mother's kitchen.  
It's the simple things we treasure when a loved one is no longer with us, 
simple things like a mixing bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment