Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Baking with Chives

 It began with a book.  Some work of fiction that showed up in my library holds one day, uncertain when or why I had requested it.  Lost Lake, a charming tale set in the South, on the Georgia Florida border.  Oddly placed was a mute french cook, who throughout kept whipping up batches of chive scones to feed the guests.  And at least in this piece of fiction, the chive scones were a hit with the kids at the lake resort.

Chives -- those are growing in my front yard.  Kids -- I have two growing under my nose, of which I am constantly working to expand their lists of "acceptable" foods.  Bu the scones part gave me pause, never yet have they met a scone they liked.  What to do?  Turn to Betty Crocker of course.

There on page 39 of my well-worn copy is a recipe for cheese and onion corn bread.  Swap chives for onions, and voila, you have an option for this frugal mom.  The final product is cooling on the counter as I type, scheduled to be served alongside turkey burgers with tonight's meal.  Turkey burgers will get them to yell YEAH, hopefully buoying their moods to try a new food at the end of their day.  Will it succeed?  Time will tell.  I am fairly certain my husband will give the cheese-chive corn bread a thumbs up simply based on the smell that came out of the oven.

And so this frugal cook has begun working with chives.  What other suggestions might you have? Until Lost Lake I never thought about adding them to baked goods.  Expand my world, leave a comment, and thanks for reading!



If you want to give this a try before hearing my post-consumption report, here is the recipe:

  • 1 and 1/2 cups corn meal
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cheese
  • handful chopped chives.
Mix it well, bake for 28 minutes at 450 degrees.  Check a future post for the verdict!




No comments:

Post a Comment