Friday, November 27, 2015

Moving Boxes & Black Friday: Life in a Frugal Home

Image by M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2015
Black Friday, and this frugalista was no where near a mall or store.  After a stop at the Credit Union, we went through the Goodwill drive-thru with a massive drop off!  Five years ago today we moved into our current home, the very home we are attempting to purge 2,015 items from this calendar year. And today we unpacked two boxes that had not been touched since that move.  Both of us home from the office and stuck at home due to a child's case of pink eye, we tackled the basement.  The trunk of our Honda was filled, and more items were lined up for another drop-off later this weekend.  The grand total of items donated, recycled, sold or tossed is currently at 1,671. When you do the math you'll see we need to purge another 344 items to meet the goal we set back in January 2015.  With another full day of two parents at home and two weeks off at the end of the year, I'd bet we can pull this off!

It was not all work, there was a bit of play, decorating inside and out.  Not too much, using items we've collected over the years and a few I inherited when my mom died in 2014, leaving me with the ranch home of my youth to clear out.  Proudly displayed out front is a classic light-up Santa, circa 1980.  Dated and tacky, yes, most likely. Yet we are squeezing every ounce of life out of its plastic nature, and keeping just a touch of my childhood, and my parents, alive for another season.  Ho ho ho, have a frugal holiday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you kept your parents' Santa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, and yes, I am so thankful I thought to hold on to this item. Our children are young and have little to no memory of my mom and none of my father. It is nice to have a tangible item bridge my present and past for them. Enjoy the winter holidays!

      Delete