Sunday, June 11, 2017

Stay-cation in the Kitchen

Nothing related to the post, just my favorite summer bloom.
Summer stay-cation!  I am taking off from work at the office from June 9th through the 18th, returning to a schedule of summer camp for the kids and work for me on the 19th.  During that time we plan to enjoy local and State Parks, volunteer, read, sleep late, and cook!  Many frugal minded people use the Spring to clear out freezers and pantries, making room for a new season of stored locally-sourced food.  I love this idea, but Spring never meshes for me. Spring is a very chaotic time for me at the office, school events are in high energy mode, and I lack the most critical ingredient of cooking to use up the pantry, time.

But now I have time, lots of it.  Time to look through the stacks of cans and packages.  Time to ponder what to make with those beans I bought on a whim or the cherries I froze last summer.  Time to run to the store to turn a few random things into a meal with an added ingredient or two.  Time to simply putter around the kitchen.

So are the temperatures here in Madison soar into the low 90s, I will likely have the oven going to make some muffins and breads with all those frozen fruits in the fridge.  And my guess is more than one dinner will consist of traditional breakfast foods.

Stay tuned for a week of frugal cooking thoughts as I work to use it up and keep that grocery bill low.


No comments:

Post a Comment